Toronto staycation: To Do List

For some, reading week means a visit back home to see family and friends, for others it’s an opportunity escape the cold by jumping on a plane to a warmer destination. But if you’re not one of those lucky few, you’re probably feeling blue about being stuck in the city. Dionne Wilson delivers some fun and affordable things to do during reading week!

1. Get active! It’s been about a month since your New Years resolution failure. Now that you have some time, go to some inexpensive dropin classes the city has to offer, such as the Art Gallery of Ontario’s $10 yoga classes.

2. Steamwhistle, Amsterdam, Mill St., and Great Lakes Breweries are all located in Toronto. Why not appreciate the beverages you drink (maybe a little too often) by attending a tour or a tasting session.

3. Roller derby, ping pong and bowling have all made a comeback. The sixth season of Toronto Roller Derby started on Feb. 4. Go to Downsview park to watch the kick-ass sport, to SPiN on King St.W for ping-pong, or to Bathurst Bowlerama where the shoes are hideous and the beer is cheap.

4. Go ice skating on Toronto’s waterfront! This free event will be going on all day starting at 10 a.m. on Feb. 20. You can also strap on your blades at the Sherbourne Common skating rink, Nathan Phillips Square, Lake Devo or one of the many other rinks around the city.

5. Get cultured. The Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario both have free admission for students in the later hours of Wednesdays. In addition, the ROM has half price admission on Fridays from 4:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

6. Go for a romantic stroll around the Bloor-Yorkville area. IceFest is an opportunity to view beautiful ice sculptures. Between Feb. 25 – 26, take a walk through the Village of Yorkville Park located at Cumberland to see this year’s creations.

7. Get in touch with your sexual side. Just For Her, a female only sex shop has a wide array of classes to teach you everything from multiple orgasms, to stripping, to lap dances. Check the schedule for gender-specific classes.

8. The Canadian International Auto Show 2012 is intown at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Ifyou’re up for paying the $20 entry fee, you’ll beable check out the car of your dreams and onesyou may be able to afford post-graduation.

9. Learn something new! Places like the KnitCafé on Queen St. W are a great atmospheresto learn a new craft. Or for the geek in all of us,go to Snakes and Lattes on Bloor St. where theemployees can explain how to play one of theirthousands of in-house board games.

10. Try new food, get somesleep, drink some booze,destress, get laid.