All EyeBlog

Police brutality protest march pauses at Ryerson

Jeff Lagerquist

Online Editor

About 50 people took to the streets of downtown Toronto to support the International Day Against Police Brutality.

The group gathered in front of Toronto Police Central Field Command at 40 College St.

Using a microphone and boom box, speakers voiced their concerns over unresolved incidents of police brutality, racial profiling, and federal crime bill C-10 which promises harsher penalties for minor offences.

The march started to snake through the downtown core around 5:30 p.m., pausing on Gerrard Street East across from Kerr Hall before proceeding towards Yonge Street.

A banner adorned with the phrase “Fuck the Police” led the group while an equal number of police officers road ahead and along side on bicycles to contain demonstrators and manage traffic.

“Fuck the police. They’re violent fucking hypocrites,” said a man towards the front of the group at Yonge and Gerrard.

The march circled back to 40 College St. where police surrounded and dispersed the protesters, apparently without any serious incidents.

At larger demonstration along Montreal’s Sainte-Catherine Street, protestors pelted police with debris as chemical irritants were dispersed into the air. Over 200 were detained and 100 arrests were made.

1. Been Burglarized

To those who say “F The Police”: Tell me, what’s the first number you call when you wake up one morning to find your window smashed and your laptop, wallet, car, tv, etc. gone? Your BFF who you got wasted with last night?

Give your head a shake.