Time capsule unveiled at MAC

Sean Wetselaar

News Editor

A time capsule to be buried at the new Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC) at the Gardens was unveiled to the public at a men’s basketball game Thursday night.

The time capsule is designed as a follow-up to the capsule buried at the gardens Sept. 21, 1931, which was uncovered during the renovation process in the summer of 2011.

“I can tell you the excitement was amazing when we received the note from the construction crew to tell us that they’d suddenly discovered this time capsule,” said Adam Kahan, Vice President, University Advancement in his remarks at the ceremony.

The capsule was designed to fit the same dimensions as the original and is made of 16 gauge stainless steel.  It was designed by a team of students from the school of interior design, led by professor Monica Polo.  A committee of students and faculty representing both Ryerson and Loblaws Companies Limited, who were partners in the project, decided on the contents of the box.

The box will be buried in the coming days at the MAC close to the spot where the initial capsule was found, where Kahan said it could remain for as long as 100 years.

A photo taken of the tip-off of the basketball game, including players and the audience, was developed on-site and brought forward at the end of the ceremony.

The capsule contains:

• A Ryerson Rams Jersey
  • Copies of both The Eyeopener and The Ryersonian
  • Before and after photos of the renovations at Maple Leaf Gardens
  • A puck from the ceremonial opening with Prime Minister Stephen Harper
  • A CD of the Ryerson alumni directory and an alumni pin
  • A seed from a campus tree, to be re-planted when the capsule is unearthed
  • News clippings, photos and video from the grand opening of Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens
  • Several President’s Choice Insider’s Reports
  • The first Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens’ store booklet
  • Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens’ name badge
  • A roster of the Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens leadership team
  • The photo of the tip-off of the basketball game