Women’s basketball ends season with win

By Pamela Johnston

The Ryerson women’s basketball team wrapped up a victorious weekend of play on Saturday with its second win in consecutive nights against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues. The Rams managed to out-score their opponents in three of the four quarters, resulting in a 65-61 final.

“There were some moments where it wasn’t pretty,” said head Coach Carly Clarke. “But we did some good things, we moved the ball well.”

Kelcey Wright led offensively for the Rams, scoring 28 points — bringing her weekend total to 57.

Wright and teammate Angela Tilk were honoured at halftime for their contributions to the team. While Tilk was unsure about whether she would return for a fifth season, this was Wright’s final regular season game as a Ram.

The Rams host their first-round playoff game against the Queen’s Gaels on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 6 p.m. at the MAC. While the Rams won both games — which included a 66-47 drubbing in Kerr Hall Gymnasium on Jan. 25 — against the Gaels this season, they aren’t taking their opponents lightly.

“[Just] because we beat Queen’s twice doesn’t mean we’re going to necessarily beat them again,” said guard Kenesha Pingue-Giles. “We have to keep putting the pedal to the metal.”

“They’ve got some size so we’ve got to make sure that our post defense is ready,” said Clarke. “We really did a good job defending them last time, so that will be our goal again.”

Photos by Pamela Johnston

[nggallery id=106]