Rams remain perfect on home court

By Michael Grace-Dacosta

The Ryerson men’s basketball team dominated the Western Mustangs to a decisive 91-65 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre Saturday night.

Point guard Jahmal Jones had a game-high 15 points and five assists for the Rams (5-1) and first-year small forward Jean-Victor Mukama had 12 points, as the Rams improved their home record to a perfect 4-0.

The Rams jumped out to an 16-6 lead to start the game and never looked back.

The Mustangs struggled to find a rhythm offensively, shooting a below-average 31 per cent from the field, thanks to the Rams aggressive decision to play a full court press at the start of the game.

Small forward Peter Scholtes had a team-high 14 points in a losing effort for the Mustangs (0-6).

Tempers flared in the third quarter when Rams first-year power forward Adam Voll got involved in a dust-up with the Mustang’s  power forward Andrew Van Camp. Van Camp gave Voll a hard shove after Voll elbowed him while battling for the ball. Van Camp was ejected for his role in the skirmish while Voll received an unsportsmanlike foul.

With the game already in hand early in the game several Rams who don’t usually get to play received playing time.

“It’s great man,” said second year guard Derrick Allahyarian on getting minutes Saturday night. “As long as our team wins it’s good. That’s all that matters.”

Despite facing an inferior opponent the Rams played with a high level of intensity.

“We didn’t want to play down to any other team’s level,” said Allahyarian. “Coach [Roy] Rana is always on us to be the best that we can be.”

The Rams have a two game road trip next weekend where they will face the Lakehead Thunderswolves and the Guelph Gryphons.  The Rams next home game will be on Nov. 30 against the Toronto Varsity Blue at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.