All Multimedia Photos Sports

End of season recaps and awards

By Shannon Baldwin

The Rams’ 2013-14 seasons and OUA awards cheat sheet.

Men’s Basketball

We still hate Ottawa. The Rams were eliminated in a semifinal game on Feb. 22 against the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees by a single point — 79-78. For the second year in a row, Ryerson hosted the Wilson Cup and didn’t compete in it because of Ottawa. Again. We hate you Ottawa.

Jahmal Jones, Ryerson’s second all-time scorer with 1,446 career points, was named first-team all-star for the third time. Jones averaged 19.1 points per game, ranking him seventh in the OUA, spent the entire season in the CIS top 10 rankings and is the top ball distributor in the East. Second-year shooting guard Adika Peter-McNeilly was named to the second-team all-star team. In his first year playing in the OUA, Peter-McNeilly contributed 10.3 points per game — shooting 47.8 per cent from the field on 138 attempts. Jean-Victor Mukama was named OUA East rookie of the year after playing in all 22 games and starting six — finishing the regular season with 145 points and 66 rebounds.

Women’s Basketball

The Rams’ season ended on Feb. 22 with a 69-66 defeat in the quarter-finals against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues. But Mariah Nunes gave the team 16 points, five assists, three steals and two blocks in a standout performance against the Varsity Blues. Keneca Pingue-Giles was named to the second-team all-star team after ending the season with career highs in almost every statistical category. She made 142 rebounds and 325 points this season — averaging 14.8 points per game with a 46.4 shooting percentage.

Men’s Volleyball

The Rams’ season ended with a semifinal loss against the McMaster University Marauders 3-0 on Feb. 21. Robert Wojcik  — with 321 points — was named to the first-team all-star team, Jeff Ardron was named to the all-rookie team and Adam Anagnostopoulos was named rookie of the year and to the all-rookie team.

Women’s Volleyball

The Rams’ season ended 3-0 to the University of Toronto Varsity Blues in the quarter-finals on Feb. 15. Julie Longman — who made 165 digs in 44 sets and is ranked tenth in the OUA — was named the OUA east libero of the year and also named to the all-rookie team. Kristine Yan was named to the all-rookie team, Emily Nicholishen was named to the second-team all-star team and Veronica Livingston — Rams’ top scorer averaging 3.69 points per set and has 218 kills —was named to the first-team all-star team after being named last season’s rookie of the year.

Men’ Fencing

The men had their best-ever performance at the OUA Championships on Feb. 2, finishing fourth out of nine teams. Senior fencer Sebastien Dubois-Didcock is the first Ram to ever win gold in the individual épée event. He also helped win silver in the team épée event. Both Dubois-Didcock and Jonathan Li were named OUA all-stars.

Women’s Fencing

The women finished sixth out of nine teams at this year’s OUA Championships on Feb. 9. Senior Fencer Joanna Kolbe won bronze — her fourth individual medal in the épée discipline. She also helped win silver in the team épée event. Kolbe was named an OUA all-star for her performance.

Figure Skating

The Rams made history by taking home bronze medals for their overall performance at the OUA Championships at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Feb. 13 and 14. The Rams have never medalled for overall performance before this season. Ryerson placed gold in three events — Alysha Gjos in the senior silver solo free skate, Lisa Makeeva in the gold free skate, and Karen Urquhart and Julia Withers for their performance in the gold creative dance. Rams Spencer Buchanan, Katherine Bilinsky and Lisa Makeeva, Alysha Gjos and Julia Withers, and  Christina Pulla won silver in their events.

Women’s Hockey

The Rams ended their season with a 4-2 loss to the Queen’s University Golden Gaels on Feb.8. Fifth-year business management student and team captain Janella Brodett played her last game as a Ram. This also marked interim head coach Pierre Alain’s last game with the Rams. He will be heading back to Quebec in March since head coach Lisa Haley will be rejoining the Rams. The Rams finished with a regular season-high record for wins — 5-17-1.

Men’s Hockey

The Rams season ended on Feb. 28 in the semifinal series against the Lakehead University Thunderwolves. The Rams lost game one in a 7-0 shutout and then 5-1 at Fort William Gardens. The last time the Rams made it to the semifinal was in the 2009-10 season. Graham Wise was named OUA West coach of the year and Domenic Alberga was named rookie of the year and to the second-team all-star team. Both Jamie Wise and Peter Hermenegildo were named to the first-team all-star team.