All Arts & Culture Multimedia Photos

The faces of Mass Exodus

Take a look at some of the students behind the production.

Amy Tahmizian, fashion design

By Mikaila Kukurudza

Tahmizian’s outerwear collection, entitled Chappelle, is inspired and dedicated to her late grandfather, Arthur J. Chappelle. The colorus of her leather and wool garments are inspired by her grandfather’s watercolour paintings from the 1960s.

After placing third in last year’s Danier Design Challenge, fourth-year fashion design student Tahmizian realized her passion for working with leather and got Chappelle sponsored by Danier.

Next September, Tahmizian will be continuing her fashion degree for a fifth year due to her commitment on Ryerson’s varsity soccer team. Tahmizian hopes to work with a large company after graduation to build her business skills in the industry before considering her own line.

Amy said she’s excited to have her mother watch her tribute to her grandfather unfold on the runway this Thursday.

“For all of us, this is it,” she said. “I think I’ll be crying the whole day.”

Alannah Lindberg, fashion design

By Mikaila Kukurudza

The Alannah Lindberg collection is inspired by the combination of reverie, nightmares and Shakespearian paintings. Fourth-year fashion design student Lindberg utilized her talent for draping to create five evening-wear pieces.

After graduation and a much-needed vacation, Lindberg said she hopes to move back to New York and find a design position before eventually launching her own evening-wear collection.

“[Thursday] is going to be extremely chaotic but it’s going to be fun,” said Lindberg. “It’s basically what we’ve worked for for the last four years.”

Catrina Chen, fashion communication

By Mikaila Kukurudza

During her internship in Germany fourth-year fashion communication student Catrina Chen was inspired to explore the conventions of masculinity and femininity. For Mass Exodus, Chen created a garment that is meant to challenge gender norms.

“I’ve known I’ve wanted to be in fashion since I was a little girl,” Chen said. “Everyone in my family is in fashion.”

Chen’s garment can be transformed into 10 different pieces, which will be showcased at the Mass Exodus Exhibit on Thursday. Her piece will offer a personalized experience for each user, with adjustable hemlines, removable sleeves and additional components.

There hasn’t been a minute where I haven’t though about [my design],” said Chen. “I never want to stop thinking about it.”

Ellisha Moses, fashion design

By Alex Heck

Ellisha Moses will be unveiling her European-inspired collection called Nyx on the Mass Exodus runway. Her five outfits that will be hitting the runway are medieval-inspired and sensuous.

The collection uses a pairing of leather and silk to create truly unique outfits like corsets and symmetrical skirts.

One of the pieces at the show is a bodice with sleeves and a neckpiece. “I feel like it captures my aesthetic perfectly,” Moses said.

Moses said she uses leather in her work because she wants to create quality garments that have an element of luxury. This collection, she says, is not geared for the mainstream Toronto fashion industry. Instead, she aims to bring a more alternative style to the runway.