Rams soccer kicks off Saturday versus Nipissing Lakers

By Krista Robinson

Last season could have gone better for the Ryerson women’s soccer team, to say the least.

The team finished with a 3-11-2 record and missed the playoffs for the third straight year.

“Halfway through last year [the team] declined a lot,” head coach Kevin Souter said.

That decline was the team’s 0-6- 1 record in October to close the season. Now Souter is looking to forget the disappointment of last year and start fresh with seven new recruits.

“I’m excited about our group this year,” said Souter, a former Major League Soccer midfielder. “We’ve got a couple of exciting recruits and good core [players] coming back with another year’s experience.”

One of those returning players is Katrina Gonyea, a third-year defender who only played five games last sea- son. After colliding with a U of T player head on, she broke her cheekbone and missed the remainder of the season.

After a long recovery, Gonyea is ready to get back on the field with a healed scar above her right eye.

“I try to work really hard, set the pace for the team,” she said. “If one person is working hard, it’s contagious.”

Striking a balance between the game and other priorities is cru- cial for the team, since students face many distractions and blocking them out can be difficult. But the players know this and have to make sacrifices.

Janica Adams, a striker going into her second year of biomedical science said her social life comes last in her list of priorities.

“For me, it goes soccer, school work, then soccer again.”