Up and coming projects at Ryerson

By Sierra Bein

Student Learning Centre

Ryerson’s newest building, the Student Learning Centre (SLC) on the corner of Yonge and Gould streets, is set to be completed for Winter 2015.

Urban campuses tend to suffer from lack of space to accommodate their students and Ryerson will soon be able to alleviate its growing pains. The SLC will provide students much needed space on campus to study.

Construction started in the winter of 2012, on the ground of what was formerly the Sam the Record Man building. A time capsule has also been placed in the staircase of the SLC so that future generations can see how Ryerson has evolved over the years.

Jarvis Residence

In addition to meeting growing demand for space, Ryerson also has to meet a long-awaited demand for more student housing. The designs for a new residence at 186 Jarvis have been finalized and construction is set to begin in September. This project will provide the first 500 of 2,000 new beds to be added to campus. It’s part of Ryerson’s effort to cut down the hassle for commuters.

The building will be 27 storeys high — five storeys higher than originally planned in February 2012.

The MPI Group is the developer for this project, a company that offers management, manufacturing and marketing services.

The new residence building is set to be finished by 2016.

Sport Media Program

A new program has been added to the Radio and Television Arts School of Media (RTA) for the upcoming school year. The Sport Media program is designed for students who want to learn about game coverage, sports marketing and sports entertainment. This program is the first of its kind in North America.

The program’s home will be at the Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC), located at Carlton and Church streets. Most of the class work will take place in the courts, rinks and fields. The control rooms with all the necessary equipment will be built on the fourth floor of the MAC.

The broadcasting centre made specifically for the program has been funded by a $750,000 donation from Sportsnet. The donation is going toward equipment and the control room.

Hundreds of students have applied but only 60 spots are open for the program. Students will have a chance to broadcast in partnership with Sportsnet and work side by side with professionals in the field.