Climbing the tower for charity

By Dan Morand

The women’s volleyball team is always looking for new ways to train — sometimes, that new thing leads to raising money for charity. The team is set to participate in the CN Tower Climb on Oct. 19 to raise money for United Way.

“Maybe well create a competition for who gets the fastest time,” said outside hitter Lauren Sokolowski. “We are athletes, so it’ll be fun to get competitive about it.”

Climbing the CN Tower’s 1,776 stairs is a physically demanding feat. Head coach Dustin Reid says the team will not be training for the event, but preventing injury through preparation is important.

“It would be irresponsible for us to look at doing this event, and not play it in with the rest of our training schedule,” he said.

Reid also sees the upside to doing charity work early in the season. Two nights before the climb, the Rams will play their first game of the season at the Mattamy Athletic Centre against the Guelph Gryphons.

“I think anytime our team is involved with a community initiative, the benefits of team building are going to be a part of that,” he said.

Ryerson athletes must complete 10 hours of community service each year. The women’s volleyball team is the only Rams squad participating in the climb this year.

This year’s focus for the women’s volleyball team is to work outside the basic requirements of volunteering at the university.

“It’s a good cause,” said outside hitter Alex Whyte. “To get involved in something outside the Ryerson community is great because we are a Toronto based school, we’re part of the city.”