Undefeated streak ends for men’s soccer

By Brandon Buechler

The saying goes that all good things must come to an end.

The Ryerson men’s soccer team (8-1-0) lost 3-0 to the University of Toronto, ending their 35 game (27-0-8) undefeated streak.

The team’s last regular season loss came on Sept. 2, 2012, a 2-0 loss at Carleton.

“I’d rather have this moment now than have it the first round of the playoffs…when we have no chance to teach or learn from it, no desire to come back,” associate coach Filip Prostran said.

Ryerson’s drubbing began with Toronto forward Nirun Sivananthan’s first goal of the game in the 25th minute. Sivananthan broke from the pack, ran unimpeded into the Ram’s half, and fired a shot over a sliding Christian Maraldo.

Toronto’s lead doubled five minutes later when Mario Kovacevic converted on a penalty kick.

The final blow came again from Sivananthan, who beat two defenders and fired into the top left corner of the net.

“We were complacent,” said Ryerson defender Josh Kohn. “We walked onto the field thinking ‘we’re 8-0, 35 games in a row with no loss, we can just walk onto the field and win.’ Well, we didn’t do anything.”

Prostran found it to be a valuable lesson for the players, some of who weren’t on the team at the start of the streak.

“Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn,” Prostran said. “Today we learned a great lesson.”

The Ram’s next matchup comes against the Trent Excalibur in Peterborough on Oct. 1.