Ryerson’s blue and Gould street party

By Laura Hensley

As a way to connect alumni and to celebrate the success of Ryerson’s graduates, the Gould Street Party took place on Oct. 18, over the university’s Alumni Weekend.

Organized by Ryerson’s Alumni Relations, the event welcomed past and present students to campus for an afternoon of activities.

Tony Biglieri, president of Alumni Relations, said it took over a year to plan the party and he hopes it will be an annual occurrence.

“Our board has worked tireless hours to pull this thing together and from my perspective, it’s fantastic,” Biglieri said. “It’s what I think the Alumni Weekend in this place needs.”

The Gould Street Party had a tightly programmed day. It began with the Varsity Hockey Alumni Game, which was played by those who graduated between 1960 and 1980.

Peter Katz, a juno-nominee and Ryerson theatre graduate, headlined a concert staged in the middle of Gould Street.

The show was emceed by graduate and media personality, Jason Agnew, who said being back on campus brought back many memories.

“It was cool to walk into radio and television arts and be with so many people who were all likeminded,” Agnew said. “Here you walk into a class of a 150 people in your year, and then probably around 600 in the actual program, who all have that identical mindset.”

As long as alumni keep returning, the Gould Street Party may soon become a Ryerson tradition.