Women’s hockey picks up first win of the season

By Matt Ouellet

The Ryerson women’s hockey team (1-2-0) picked up their first win of the season, 3-1 against the Brock Badgers (0-2-0) Friday night at home.

The Rams struggled to get shots on target early in the game, but that changed quickly and at 7:32 into the first period, forward Blair Malthaner opened the scoring with an unassisted wraparound.

The Rams furthered their lead late in the second period when forward Kayla Karbonik scored an unassisted shorthanded goal with 2:21 left.

The third period was set to have the Badgers aggressively pursue a comeback, but head coach Lisa Haley was already prepared for the scenario.

“I think we expected Brock to put a push on and they certainly did that. They shortened their bench quite a bit as well, and really tried to find a way back into the game. It’s a great situation to be in, we’ve been trying to come from  behind lately so having to protect that lead was great.”

With 5:25 left in the game, the Badgers did succeed in eating into the Rams’ lead with an unassisted goal by forward Jessica Fickel.

Ryerson thwarted that comeback with an empty net goal from Sarah McGilvray, assisted by Jessica Hartwick and Clare Subine with 24 seconds left in the game.

“We feel pretty good about how we did.” Haley said, “We’ve got a win under our belt, we’ve been working pretty hard and trying to put all the pieces together and the players are pretty happy with themselves to get two points and get ourselves up in the standings.”

The Rams next game is on the road when they visit the University of Ontario Institute of Technology on Oct. 25.