Men’s volleyball closes out 2014 with a win

By Devin Jones

The Ryerson men’s volleyball team is flying high, as they defeated the Windsor Lancer’s in dramatic fashion Saturday night.

Despite being down two sets to one, the Rams (8-3), anchored by second-year setter Brett Whitely, battled back, ultimately winning the match 3-2 (25-13, 18-25, 17-25, 25-17, 15-11) in five sets.

“We came out strong in the first set, but struggled in the next two. Issues with passing cost us points,” Whitely said. “Coach just made some changes to the team dynamic and we battled through it to win.”

The first set saw the Rams firing on all cylinders, jumping to an early 4-1 lead. Intense front net protection by third year middle blocker Uchenna Ofoha stifled the Lancer’s offense, allowing only 13 points. The Rams ran away with the first set 25-13

The second and third sets were all Windsor. While the second set remained close for a period of time, the suffocating Windsor defence, shut down every Ryerson offensive attempt. With the Lancer’s winning the second and third 25-18 and 25-17 respectively, The Rams looked demoralized heading into the fourth set.

“(Windsor) thrive off defence, and they play really well of their strengths, so they’re always a hard team to beat,” said head coach Mirek Porosa.

The fourth and fifth sets saw the Rams make their rallying cry. With strong leadership shown by Whitely, the Rams battled back. Winning the fourth set confidently, Ryerson took in the decisive fashion, winning their last game before the Christmas break.

“Our guys know how to play under pressure, its all about getting them motivated and in the right mindset,” said Porsoa. “They played well tonight and it’s a great win for us.”

The Rams next league game is Saturday Jan. 10 when they visit the Waterloo Warriors.