Photo by Stephen Armstrong

Rams women’s basketball gets dominant win

By Evan Manning

The Ryerson women’s basketball team (4-1) scored a dominant bounce-back win Friday evening against a helpless Laurentian Voyageurs squad, 79-42.

Nearly a week after losing a heartbreaker to the top-ranked Windsor Lancers, it was clear from the get-go that the Rams weren’t going to be held down in this one.

They exploded out of the gate and ended the game before it ever had a chance to start, finishing the first quarter on top 20-3.

It was a team effort for the Rams, as four separate players scored in double figures. Keneca Pingue-Giles led the team in scoring for the fifth consecutive game with 15, and Silvana Jez provided timely three-point shooting, connecting on three of her four attempts from downtown.

“My three-point shooting is getting better,” said Jez. “I’m feeling it more and more so I’m just trying to build on that.”

The Rams smothered the Voyageurs on defence, limiting them to just 21.2 per cent shooting from the field. Ryerson also bullied them on the boards as they held a 46-24 lead in rebounds. Recently, there has been a strong focus on those two aspects.

“The best teams in the country are great defensively and great rebounding-wise,” said Head Coach Carly Clarke. “We’ve definitely been keying in on that the last few weeks.”

The ball movement and constant player motion from the Rams offense could not be stopped. Timely passes led to easy shots for the Rams, who hit on nearly half (47.5 per cent) of their field goals and assisted on a whopping 18 of them.

The Rams will look to continue their two-way dominance on night two of a back-to-back tomorrow evening at the Mattamy Athletic Centre, when they will square off against the Nipissing Lakers.

It’s the team’s last home game before the winter break and tip-off is 6 p.m.