RTA gets $3 million for new facility

By The News Team

The Ryerson RTA School of Media has received a $3 million donation from the Slaight Family Foundation to create a new state-of-the-art broadcast and teaching facility.

The facility will be named the Allan Slaight Radio Institute after Allan Slaight, who was the former president and CEO of the Standard Broadcasting Corporation and considered a pioneer in radio. Besides creating the facility, the money will also go towards creating awards and grants for students and supporting Ryerson’s digital radio station, “Spirit Live.”

“My dad was a true trailblazer in Canada’s broadcasting industry,” said Gary Slaight, president of The Slaight Family Foundation, in a press release. “The Allan Slaight Radio Institute is a fitting tribute to his contributions and will ensure solid support to students wishing to pursue careers in radio and broadcasting.”

Ryerson President Sheldon Levy said the school is honored to receive the gift.

“Allan Slaight is an inspiring figure for people passionate about radio. The family’s gift will be transformational for Ryerson students working to follow in his footsteps in developing the industry,” Levy said.

The Slaight Family Foundation also supports Ryerson’s Slaight Business Plan Competition, which awards two students with $25,000 each for entrepreneurial endeavours.