Ryerson University receives $13 million in donation

By Jackie Hong

Ryerson University has received a $13-million donation from Jack Cockwell and the Brookfield Partners Foundation, according to a press release. The foundation is the charitable branch of Brookfield, a global asset management company, of which Cockwell sits on the board of directors.

Cockwell also currently sits on Ryerson’s board of governors as chair of the audit committee and has been a member of the board since 1995.

The money will go towards creating the Brookfield Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Ryerson, funding innovation projects on campus and supporting the Student Learning Centre (SLC). Ryerson President Sheldon Levy will be the institute’s first honorary chair.

“I am honoured to be given the opportunity to chair this wonderful new Institute which represents two of the great strengths of our university, innovation and entrepreneurship,” Levy said in the press release. “The (donation) will have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of many of our most talented students by bringing their ideas to life.”

To date, the Brookfield Partners Foundation has donated more than $20 million to the university, making it “among Ryerson’s most generous private sector benefactors,” according to the press release.