Men’s hockey ends season with loss to U of T

By Evan Manning

A heartbreaking day for Ryerson Rams sporting teams ended this evening in tragic fashion.

The Rams men’s hockey team dropped the second game in their best of three series with the University of Toronto Blues on Saturday 6-4 at Varsity Arena.

The loss eliminates the Rams from the Ontario University Athletics playoffs after a 14-12-1 regular season.

“Obviously we’re a team where we’re right there, but we just have to get better,” said Rams head coach Graham Wise.

The loss came on the same day where both the men and women’s volleyball teams were eliminated from the playoffs as well.

Ryerson looked to be in control throughout the first and second periods.

They held a 2-1 advantage after the first period, getting goals from Brian Birkoff and Andreas Tsogkas.

After two crafty goals from Daniel Clairmont in the second to make the lead 4-3, it appeared that Ryerson was on their way to a deciding game three tomorrow.

But everything came crashing down for the Rams in the third period.

A goal at the 5:03 mark from U of T’s Michael Markovic tied the game up 4-4 and gave the Blues momentum.

Three minutes later, the Blues Lane Werbowski sent a slap shot from the blue line to put the clamp down on Ryerson.

The Blues added one more just for good measure, leaving the Rams to wait until next year’s season to win a league championship.

Ryerson outshot the Blues 43-37, but they couldn’t capitalize on enough of their opportunities. It is the fourth loss in four tries this year to the Blues.

“We wanted to go on a deep run in the playoffs, so it’s disappointing to be put out in the first round,” said Clairmont.