Religious organization condemns rejection of pro-life group

By Jake Scott

A religious organization sent an email to Ryerson president Sheldon Levy calling the denial of club status to a pro-life student group an “unethical and illegal violation of constitutionally protected religious freedom.”

Geoffrey Korz, chair of the Canadian Council for Religious Freedom (CCRF), asked Levy to intervene in the issue and send back a written response indicating his “abrogation of this unethical and illegal violation of constitutionally protected religious freedom” at Ryerson.

“Under the circumstances, we will make it a priority to include the decisions of your campus administration as a focus in our 2015 Year in Review, and will share our public recommendations accordingly,” Korz wrote. “It is our hope that your office will take steps to set right this violation of basic freedoms, to allow us to highlight your responsiveness on this issue.”

The CCRF is a group that “safeguard the religious freedom of all traditional religious groups, with a particular focus on traditional-minded Christians,” according to their website. Searching for “Year in Review” on the CCRF website yields a WordPress generated statistics page detailing the page-views of the website in 2012.

We will update this post once we receive a comment from Sheldon Levy’s office or a Ryerson spokesperson.

Read the original story here.