Women’s basketball to face Ottawa in quarterfinals

By Josh Weinstein

The Ryerson women’s basketball team will begin their journey towards capturing an Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championship when they host the Ottawa Gee-Gees in a quarterfinals showdown on Feb. 28.

The Gee-Gees come into the contest as the winners of the OUA’s North division with a record of 14-5, while the Rams counter with 16-3 regular season record that cements them at the top of the East division.

The teams had one regular season matchup against each other, where Ryerson was victorious by a close score of 58-55.

“We know that Ottawa is a very good, well-coached team that’s improved a lot as the seasons gone on”, said Rams head coach Carly Clarke. “We look to build on our great play during second semester and get the win this Saturday.”

Both teams come into the game with win streaks on the line. The Gee-Gees streak has now reached six games, while the Rams is at an even more impressive 10 games.

Clarke thinks avoiding a close game this time around will be “challenging”, especially considering that the playoffs bring a whole new atmosphere compared to the regular season.

Clarke added that she thinks her team has a little more depth and size than the Gee-Gees, which they’ll try to use as an advantage. Clarke also wants to make sure her team goes inside outside throughout the game.

You can catch the game this Saturday, Feb. 28 at the Mattamy Athletic Centre at 6 p.m.