Carleton beats Victoria in CIS basketball semi-finals

By Matt Ouellet

The Carleton Ravens have advanced to the final game of the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) men’s Final 8 after beating the Victoria Vikes 83-74 at the Mattamy Athletic Center (MAC) Saturday night.

The Ravens got off to a very strong start in the first quarter, going 10-2 in the first 4:30 of the game, ending up 27-15 at the end of the first, with the team making 62.5 per cent of field goals.

Point guard Phillip Scrubb had an impressive first half, scoring 19 points and 10 assists, with his feet on the floor for all 20 minutes.

“I thought he did a good job of getting the ball where we wanted to get it,” Carlton head coach Dave Smart said. “And he made pretty good decisions from there.”

The Ravens started off the third quarter strong, but their defensive game eventually loosened up, as the Vikes outscored Carleton 42-35 in the second half, with Carleton’s field goal shooting at a meager 39.4 per cent.

“I think we started playing more individual defense, rather than team defense,” Scrubb said. “If we play like that tomorrow, we’re likely going to lose. We’ve got a lot of things to work on, but each individual knows what they’ve got to do.”

Point guard Marcus Tibbs lead the charge for the Vikes in the second half, scoring 23 points and nine assists, shooting 72 per cent from the field.

“We started to attack and be a little more aggressive,” Tibbs said. “Reiner [Theil] got it started, but the rest of us were all on our heels, we all basically just fed off of Reiner.”

Victoria will play Ryerson for the bronze medal 11:30 a.m. Sunday at the MAC, Carleton will play the Ottawa Gee-Gees for the gold medal at 3 p.m.