App of the Week: Transit App

By Igor Magun

If you worry about getting around the city on time, the Transit App is a must-have for your smartphone. In addition to the same basic functionality seen in most public transit apps, such as live predictions, route schedules and maps, this app goes a few steps further.

A built-in trip planner can help you choose the fastest route to your destination, or a route with a specified time of departure or arrival. It pulls data from several transit systems around Toronto, including the TTC, GO Transit and MiWay, Missisauga’s transit system. You can also preset a home and work location for quick navigation.

The app can also send service notifications for any routes you choose, alerting you to any delay. And if you’re one to often miss your bus home, the app can ring an alarm at a chosen time before a scheduled arrival.

If public transit isn’t an option, Transit App offers three alternatives. You can request an Uber straight from the app, and the trip planner will estimate the cost and predict the car’s arrival time. If you’re a member of the car-sharing service car2go, you can find and reserve an available vehicle. And, if you’d prefer fewer wheels, the app can display the number of bicycles available at Bike Share Toronto stations.

The Transit App is available for free on the iOS App Store or on Android’s Google Play Store.