Find Your Textbooks

By Jacob Dubé

It’s time for classes to start, and so begins the rush to buy textbooks. Your professors will make you go out and buy a bunch of them and readings will begin right away. If you’re scrambling to find the best store to pick them up, here are some places around campus to buy your books.

The Campus Store

Found on the corner of Gould and Victoria Street, the campus store is the go-to place for text-books and school supplies. But if you don’t want to spend long hours waiting in line, you have the option to order your textbooks online from their website and have them shipped to your door.

“We don’t have a big store, so basically [students] do wait in line. So this gives them the privilege of shopping from home,” said Kelly Abraham, associate director of campus retail.

This feature allows users to compare prices between new and used books, and two-day shipping prices inside Ontario are fixed at $10.95. The prices in the campus store are identical online. Users select the subject and course code, and the site shows them which textbooks are needed for the class.

The Used Book Room

Located on the lower level of the Student Campus Centre (SCC) and run by the Ryerson Students’ Union, the Used Book Room sells students’ textbooks at a discounted rate, and gives 75 per cent of the profits back to the seller.

BMV Books

The discount bookstore west of Ryerson on Edward St. can be a source of cheap textbook finds, especially if you can make do with an older edition. They can never guarantee a book will be in stock, so the earlier you start searching the better.

Campus Store at the Bay Atrium

A new temporary campus store is set to open at the Bay Atrium on Aug. 31 for the fall semester.