Men’s soccer loses in blowout against Queens

By Ben Shelley

The Ryerson men’s soccer team lost against the University of Queens Gaels 4-1 Sunday afternoon at Downsview Park.

The first half of the game was all Ryerson, with the Rams generating chances and sustaining offensive pressure. However, three quick goals by Queens in the second half was too much for Ryerson to overcome.

The Rams opened the scoring just five minutes into the game, when Raheem Rose put a quick shot past Queens goalkeeper Taylor Reynolds. Ryerson looked to have control, until Oliver Coren scored for Queens, putting a ball in after it bounced off of a Ryerson defender. Both teams traded chances to end out the half and went in to the break tied at one.

The second half saw a surge in offence from Queens, stunning the Rams with three goals in six minutes. Queens took the lead in the 55th minute when Jacob Schroeter scored a rebound off a free kick, started from a scramble in the box. The Gaels wasted little time adding to their lead, when Patrick Van Belleghem beat Rams’ goalkeeper Praveen Alihan with a nice shot to the far corner of the net. At the 61st minute, Queens made it 4-1, when Tonko Bacelic scored a tap in goal on a nice pass across the box. The game got more physical towards the end, however, the Rams weren’t able to mount a comeback.

“We got outworked today,” said Ryerson coach Filip Prostran. “They came with more desire, more passion to win, and they deserved to win.”

The Ryerson men’s team will be back in action on Saturday, September 26, when they host the Carleton Ravens at Downsview Park at 3:15 p.m.