DECA Ryerson to bring smiles to SickKids

By Mikayla Fasullo

DECA Ryerson is bringing smiles where they’re hard to find this holiday season.

The group’s annual toy drive is collecting donations of new toys to bring to SickKids on Nov. 27.

“As students we have a lot we can be fortunate for and at SickKids these kids are in difficult circumstances, there parents are in difficult circumstances so if we can brighten their day by giving them a small toy that really doesn’t take much from us,” said Carter Grant, president of DECA Ryerson.

Parents will have a variety of gifts to choose from for their kid to open on Christmas morning. The toys help keep kids busy during their stay at the hospital.

Last year, the toy drive collected over 300 toys and the group is aiming for the same outcome this year. DECA Ryerson works in collaboration with eight other student groups, including Ryerson Investment Group, Co-op Student Association and Commerce and Government Association.

For DECA to go to provincials in the business case-cutting group’s biggest event of the year, it’s mandatory for delegates to donate to the toy drive or the food drive, which the group coordinates in October.

“Lots of students can’t really spare too much money because they’re already paying for tuition, any bid goes a long way,” said Julia Mezzavilla, vice president of marketing and CSR.

“Were one of the biggest students groups on campus and we have such a big following. It makes sense that we use that power to benefit other people,” she said.

DECA will be accepting toy and money donations in the main hall on the 7th floor of TRSM between 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. until Nov. 27.