New Church St. building has a name

By Keith Capstick

Ryerson announced on Thursday that the new Church St. development will be called the Daphne Cockwell Health Sciences Complex after the university received an $8 million gift from the Jack Cockwell family and Brookfield Partners Foundation.

According to the press release, the Cockwell family’s contributions to the school now exceeds $28 million making Cockwell one of the largest financial supporters of the university. The building will be named after his mother.

“Jack has always been there with us at the forefront of Ryerson development,” said Ryerson president Sheldon Levy, in a press release. “The university has pioneered an evolution in entrepreneurial education, and with his help the Institute is reaching out to young people of all ages as the leaders of tomorrow.”

Levy revealed the plans for the building set to be built at 300 Church St. last October and has told The Eyeopener that the school is very close to breaking ground on the project. The building will house sciences programs, nursing suites, labs, a fabrication zone, lecture halls and the a new student residence stacked on top of the all this academic-based space.

According to Ryerson Builds the ground-breaking is set to happen on Dec 2 and the excavation period will continue into June 2016.