Rams lose 5-1 to Warriors

By Ben Shelley

Ryerson’s women’s hockey team fell 5-1 to the Waterloo Warriors at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Friday night.

Despite the result, the game was closer than the score indicates, with a fairly even shot total of 27-26 for Waterloo. When asked about the game, Rams’ head coach Lisa Haley said special teams were an issue for the Rams.

“Special teams were a struggle for us,” said Haley. “We looked pretty rusty on our special teams…… and to give up four even strength goals is not acceptable.”

Waterloo took an early lead midway through the first period, when Hannah Street’s point shot took a bounce off of a Ryerson defenceman and found its way to the back of the net. After a Ryerson penalty, Rachel Marriott increased the Warriors’ lead to two, when she beat Ally Sarna in close on the power play.

In the second period, Waterloo wasted little time getting on the board again, when Tegan Odland put a nice shot over Sarna’s shoulder. After the goal, Rams’ coach Haley pulled Sarna who allowed 3 goals on 12 shots, and replaced her with Alex Armstrong.

“When goalies are getting beaten by first shots, that’s never a good feeling,” said Haley. “I just don’t think [Sarna] was feeling it tonight, and that’s fine. She wasn’t the only one.”

However, the goaltending change made little difference, with Waterloo scoring on Armstrong just a minute and a half after she entered the game, to make it 4-0 Warriors after 40 minutes. The teams traded goals in the third, with Siobhan Hewitt-Kenda scoring for Waterloo, before Karli Nummikoski scored for Ryerson with 31 seconds left to break the shutout. Ryerson’s captain Jessica Hartwick said that getting down early was one of the factors in the loss.  

“I think at the beginning of the game we were a little bit sloppy in our own zone, and then we gave up a couple goals, and just didn’t have the edge to come back right away,” said Hartwick.

With the loss, Ryerson drops to 1-5-0-1, while Waterloo improves to 5-3-0-1. Ryerson travels to take on Laurier on Saturday, Nov. 14th, and then visits York on November 21st. Ryerson’s next home game is on Friday, Nov. 27th, when they host Laurentian at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.