Rams topple Lions in four sets

By Bianca Bharti

The Ryerson women’s volleyball team tallied another win when they faced off against the York Lions Friday night at the Mattamy Athletic Centre.

Winning 3-1 (25-14 19-25, 25-15, 25-22), this is the Rams fifth win out of six matches. The Rams started off strong, taking the lead by the technical timeout (16-7) before they won their opening set 25-14.

By the second set, York picked up its game. At the technical timeout, the score was 16-14 for the Rams. However, keeping pace with the Rams throughout the second set, York responded with a 19-25 victory.

“I think we took for granted that we were playing a good opponent,” said head coach Dustin Reid. “I think [York] came out really flat and we assumed the whole match was going to be that way. So, when they started playing stronger, we weren’t prepared to face that level of performance or intensity.”

The Rams came back in the third set, crushing the Lions 9-2 after the technical timeout to win it 25-15.

“There was a lack of confidence during the beginning of the second set and I think we brought it back,’ said team captain Emily Betteridge.

Both York and Ryerson’s tenacity resulted in a close fourth set. At one point, the teams were tied 20-20, however Ryerson was able to take the win (25-22).

Outside hitter Veronica Livingston kept the Rams strong, with a match-high of 16 kills. Middle blockers Theanna Vernon and Jena Bonello also helped volley the Rams to victory with 12 and 10 kills respectively.

This match was also a personal victory for Julie Longman, who reached her 500th kill during the second set.

Ryerson’s women’s volleyball team is now second in the Ontario University Athletics East standings, just under U of T.

The Rams will next be facing Nipissing University at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Saturday, Nov. 21.

For this game, Betteridge said, “working on our block and just communicating throughout the whole match is going to be important.”