Rams return to their winning ways, beating the Ravens

By Tagwa Moyo

C oming off a tough loss last week to the Queen’s Gaels, the Ryerson Rams women’s basketball team was focused on getting back on track and defeating the visiting Carleton Ravens.

Right out of the gates the Rams came out hard and executed offensively against a very defensive-minded Ravens squad. After the first quarter the Rams had a double digit lead and thanks to Senior Keneca Pingue-Giles who became the fifth player to score 1,000 points as a Ram and Sophomore Cara Tiemens who simply could not miss.

The second quarter proved to be much of the same as the first as the Rams were able to get out and attack the Ravens strong defence. Heading into halftime the Rams had a ten point lead on the Ravens.

The Rams maintained their red hot shooting in the third quarter scoring 29 points in the quarter and widening the gap creating a 72-46 lead and proving why they are in the top five teams in Canadian University sports.

Although Giles had yet another great game, Tiemens stole the show in what coach Carly Clarke described as a “special” game for her as she scored a career high 19 points shooting a perfect 4-4 from behind the arc.

“Her grandfather died on Sunday, she spoke at the funeral, she missed a bunch of practices this week and then puts up that performance just special,” said Clarke. “She had a great performance. Great for her confidence and for the team,” Clarke said.

Tiemen and the rest of the team played extremely well on the offensive end, they were able to match that same intensity on the defensive side. The Rams forced the Ravens into 23 turnovers.

With the blowout win the Rams record improves to 7-2. The Rams will hope to continue their momentum into Saturday’s game when they look to face the Ottawa Gee-Gees who are currently ranked 10th in the country. The game starts at 6:00 p.m. and will be the first of two White Out games that night.