Photo: Alanna Rizza

People of Ryerson: Moody Eisa

In Communities /

By Alanna Rizza

Moody Eisa considers himself to be a pretty calm guy who doesn’t really care about anything. His motto is: whatever happens, happens.

But the second year financial mathematics student does seem to care about how other people see him.

“I’m being honest. When I walk into school and into class, I feel like all the students think I don’t belong there.”

Born in Saudi Arabia, Eisa moved to Canada when he was just a year old. He is Sudanese and Muslim.

“Look how I’m dressed,” he motions down at his baggy jeans and dark hoodie, “I don’t know if I give off a dangerous vibe or anything but I’m a nice guy.”

“No one has ever said a word. But you just know when you look at a person that they want no association with you.”

Eisa thinks that because of his skin colour and his clothes, people in his classes don’t take him seriously. For group projects he says people don’t even look at him to be in their group. But because of his care-free attitude, he doesn’t do much about this.

Hasan Bobat, first year graphic communications management student, and Eisa’s friend comes over and sits down next to him, drink in hand.

“Ever since he was a kid he’s always thought that,” said Bobat. “And now he’s grown up and he still believes that. He’s turning twenty soon and I tell him [to] stop being stupid about it, who the hell cares about what other people think. When you walk in be who you are. That’s it.”

Eisa and Bobat have been friends since they were toddlers. Bobat keeps insisting that Eisa was actually adopted into his family. Eisa laughs and says this isn’t true.

Eisa is the youngest of three older brothers. His siblings and father are all civil engineers.

Eisa’s science marks weren’t high enough for engineering, so his goal now is to become a financial advisor. He never feels inadequate next to his brothers.

“I wouldn’t try to go back to engineering. I just gave up on it,” he said, tossing his cigarette.

Eisa also mentioned that in middle school and high school he didn’t keep up with his religion, but he hasn’t given up on that.

“Being a teenager is about experimenting and finding yourself. I’ll go back to religion when I’m older.”

“Right now I’m not in a good place,” he said. “In my religion, smoking and drinking is bad. After university you [should] set yourself straight, you know?”

Bobat takes a swig of his drink, “He’s the nicest [guy] I know, he’s the nicest.”

Eisa laughs and gestures to Bobat, “Just recently this guy was at work laughing at [our friend] who broke his arm three or four years ago. And he was making fun of him for breaking a bone, and two weeks later Hasan ended up breaking his leg.”

The two laugh and Eisa explains his belief in karma and how a person’s actions affects their outcome. He is happy about his progress in school and thinks something positive will come out of it.

But for now Eisa is content to be in the moment with his friends.

“You can add that it’s my birthday today,” says Bobat, taking out his driver’s license to prove it.

“My friends are my family,” says Eisa, pointing to Bobat. “He’s like my fourth brother.”