Photos by Arya Shomali

Soccer Round-up: Women lose third straight; men stay perfect

In SportsLeave a Comment

Reading Time: 2 minutes

By Arya Shomali

WSOC – Ryerson: 0 Queen’s: 3

• Rams lose third straight game
  • Ryerson hasn’t scored since Sept. 25
  • Ryerson keeper Brittney Clendenan makes nine saves

Ryerson’s women’s soccer team found themselves on the losing end of hard-fought game as they dropped a 3-0 decision against Queen’s at Monarch Park on Saturday.

The Rams have now lost three straight games and have been outscored 7-0 in that span. Although Ryerson conceded three goals to Queen’s, Rams keeper Brittney Clendenan was solid between the posts, making nine saves.

In the 30th minute, Clendenan came up with three quick brilliant saves inside the box, but it wasn’t enough to keep Queen’s scoreless as Brittany Almeida buried a rebound for Queen’s.

The Rams played with more aggression to start the second half and won many man-to-man battles, but they still couldn’t maintain possession.

In the 57th minute, a defensive blunder led to an easy rebound for Lidia Bradau to put into the back of the net for a 2-0 Queen’s lead.

Ten minutes later, the Rams failed to clear the ball out of their box and although Clendenan had a few good saves, the rebound fell to Laura Callender who knocked it into the back of the net fothe Gaels’ third goal.

In the dying minutes of the game, Alessia Carvalho almost came up with a late strike for Ryerson from the left side of the six-yard box, but the Rams couldn’t finish the play.

“We must take baby steps” said Rams head coach Ivan Joseph. “It’s going in the right direction”.

MSOC – Ryerson: 2 Queen’s: 0

• Rams stay perfect, improve to 12-0
  • Jamie Baker scores both Rams goals
  • Baker has four goals in last two games

Ryerson’s men’s soccer team beat Queen’s 2-0 to extend their perfect season with their 12th straight win at Monarch Park on Saturday.

Ryerson striker Jamie Baker broke the deadlock in the 30th minute with a well-timed finish to put the Rams up 1-0.

In the 43rd minute, Kyle Stewart picked up a yellow card and conceded a free kick. The curler into the left side didn’t beat Ryerson keeper Praveen Ahilan, who finished with three saves for the Rams.

As the second half kicked off, Queen’s started playing with more tempo, but the Rams stayed focused and won most of their battles.

In the 55th minute, Ahilan came up with two excellent saves inside the box and to keep Queen’s off the board en route to his seventh clean sheet of the year.

In the 85th minute, Baker beat his man from the right flank and whipped the ball across the box, creating chaos for Queen’s.Baker found himself at the right place at the right time, scoring his second of the match and fourth in the last two games. Baker sits tied for second in Ontario University Athletics (OUA) goal-scoring with 11 tallies.

UP NEXT: The women and men return to Monarch Park on Sunday to face RMC. The women kick off at 1 p.m., followed by the men at 3:15 p.m.