A TMU Bold men's hockey player in a white jersey cross-checks a player in a blue and black Lakehead Thunderwoles uniform in front of a TMU goaltender
(LAZAR MIHAJLOVIC/THE EYEOPENER)

Penalties, late struggles drown Bold against Lakehead in first pre-season home game

By Emerson Williams

With the last thirty minutes to forget, the Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) Bold men’s hockey team lost 4-2 to the Lakehead Thunderwolves in an aggressive match on Saturday afternoon at Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC).

The team’s struggle for the upper hand followed their 5-3 loss to the University of Toronto’s Varsity Blues on Friday night, putting their pre-season record at 0-2 as they get set for TMU’s Homecoming game this Thursday.

Despite the defeat, the Bold can find optimism in the performance of first-year goalie Sergei Litvinov—who held his own with a handful of stunning saves—and the play of first-year forwards Julian Fantino and Tyler Savard, who each scored in the game. The Bold have now gotten three goals from the 13 new players on their roster through two games.

The first period kicked off with an immediate powerplay for TMU. They took advantage with Fantino’s goal, a lifted snipe in the goalie’s crease.

The early lead brought a promising start, but the Bold’s steam began to wane with a harrowing offence from Lakehead and as physicality ramped up. A scrap between players quickly formed at the Bold net after Lakehead vultured multiple long passes, which led to second-year defenceman Jaden Raad being slapped with a penalty for holding.

While TMU was down a player, Lakehead took the opportunity to get on the scoreboard with a goal from second-year forward Josh Van Unen. The unhappy Bold managed their way through a scrappy first period with seven penalties against them, including a too-many-men call that served up anxieties for the Bold’s new roster.

The opening period ended with equal shots on net and a tied score of 1-1.

• TMU Bold men's hockey players in white jerseys gather around their teammate to celebrate a goal. Two referees in striped uniforms are in the picture.
  • A close-up photo shows a goaltender in a white TMU Bold jersey and wearing a maroon and gold mask. He has his stick blade in the air.
  • Two TMU Bold men's hockey players in white jerseys prepare to head up the ice with the puck while a player in a blue Lakehead jersey lurks.
  • A men's hockey player in a white TMU Bold jersey looks backwards past the linesperson leading him to the penalty box with a questioning expression.
  • TMU Bold men's hockey players gather and give pats on the back after a game

Three minutes into the second period, the Bold clapped back with a goal from Savard. Things looked up with 2-1 on the scoreboard but from there, the Thunderwolves would turn the tide.

Lakehead came back strong as the middle frame went on, devouring TMU’s strategic methods with hostility. The pressure threw wrenches into the Bold’s teamwork. First-year defenceman Spencer Shugrue was stopped in his tracks by Lakehead on a breakaway with no teammates to pass to, leading to a counter-attack for the Thunderwolves and a shot on net.

Litvinov continued to be a beacon of light for the Bold, making a stunning catch of a flying puck from half ice. However, four penalties against the Bold and their own strong offense put the Thunderwolves in control. Goals by Spencer Blackwell and Justin Paul put them in front for the first time and they never looked back.

Lakehead led 3-2 by the end of the second period, while TMU’s 11 penalties stood out above their seven.

The third period kicked off with two Lakehead players ganging up on TMU captain Chris Playfair, resulting in another penalty for the Bold and two for the Thunderwolves.

Van Unen followed the brawl with a goal, his second of the night.

TMU wouldn’t back down without a fight, taking an additional three penalties, two served by Fantino. They put forward two failed slapshots, one wrap around to no avail and a loss in a fight for possession at the boards in the final minutes, some of which were spent with Litvinov on the bench for an extra skater. While the Bold flung pucks aimlessly, Lakehead took their 4-2 lead to the buzzer.

UP NEXT: The TMU Bold Men’s hockey team will face off against the Brock Badgers in their homecoming game on Sept. 19. Puck-drop is set at 6 p.m. at the MAC.