Rams hammered by Lancers

By Josh Beneteau

Ryerson’s women’s basketball team were pummeled 78-53 as the Windsor Lancers Friday night at the Mattamy Athletic Centre (MAC).

Windsor (4-1), who is ranked second in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), opened the game with an 18-4 run in the first five minutes and never looked back.

“I think in the first half we didn’t bring the intensity, I don’t know if we were scared or what the situation was,” said Rams guard Keneca Pingue-Giles. “We picked it up in the second half where we were more aggressive and played more as a team.”

Pingue-Giles led the Rams  (2-3) with 12 points. Dayana Gechkova was second with 11. Annie Sokoloff led in rebounds with seven, while also picking up seven points.
Even with the team’s big loss, Pingue-Giles said she tries to do her best and lead by example.

“I’m just going to what do what I can do,” she said. “I’m not trying to take a more leadership role but if it works out like that great.”

After going into the half down 53-28, Ryerson came back with more energy and at one point went on a 7-2 point run late in the third quarter. Windsor guard Korissa Williams said that the Lancers came in ready for a fight.

“We prepare for every game the same way,” she said. “In the second half we kind of drifted and let them get back a little bit.”

Rams head coach Carly Clarke agreed the team had a rough start but said they can learn from playing the top teams.

“We are gaining an understanding about what we have to do to be the best and our goal is to be the best,” Clarke said. “We need to take away how precise they were and intense they were and apply it to our game.”

During warm ups before the game, first-year forward Tashana McDonald took an elbow to the head and couldn’t play. After the game, Clarke said she was still being assessed.

The Rams next game is Saturday night when they host the Western Mustangs at the MAC. Game time is 6 p.m.