Chuck’s challenge: March 8, 1995

By Pete Nowak

“Gangsta” rappers, black drug dealers and liquor companies: look out, because Chuck D is gunning for you. The leader of the controversial rap band Public Enemy spoke up at the University of Toronto’s Convocation Hall on Feb. 27 to wrap up Black History Month. He shared his views on the state of black society today with an audience of about 500.

“We’ve got to rebuild our community because we don’t have one,” Chuck said. “Ninety per cent of black entertainers have non-black accountants. If rap is to educate people about black culture, blacks must have 100 per cent control of the industry,” he said.

Chuck spreads his words throughout North America as part of the Black Speakers International organization. BSI sends speakers, including Chuck and rapper KRS-One, to schools, to colleges and prisons throughout North America. Chuck said his reason for visiting Toronto was two-fold. The speech was the most he could do for his fans in Toronto, because fellow group member Flavor Flav is unable to enter the country. Canadian immigration won’t let Flav in because of his legal troubles here and in the U.S.

This may be a blessing in disguise, however. Chuck said the speaking tour allows him to express his opinions in a great depth than he is able to do in his lyrics.

“The white mainstream says it’s ok for blacks to be seen as entertainers and athletes. But then they say ‘don’t you dare get intelligent on us,’ Chuck said.

In his speech, Chuck encouraged black youths to go to college and become doctors and lawyers.

“Rappers aren’t heroes. Those people are,” he said. “Going to college helps you get your shit together and helps you focus. The leaders of America, Canada, North America—whatever, are in the colleges…and those leaders will one day come back to the ‘hood.'”

“Intelligence will save your ass no matter where you’re at,” he said. “It’s what teaches you what will and won’t kill you.”

The obvious lack of intelligence in the “gangsta” lifestyle portrayed by some rappers is something that really fires up the self-proclaimed Prophet of Rage.

“These rappers make blacks look like fools,” Chuck said. “You have to think about what you say and what you do.” Chuck said that blacks, and especially black rappers, are under the constant scrutiny of the white media. They are quick to exploit any negativity, he said, because negativity sells.

“The media is divided into sense and nonsense. Sense trickles down while nonsense is thrown at you. You can do everything right but the minute you slip, you’re O.J,” he said.

Chuck also trains his P.E. crosshairs on the “culture” that gangsta rappers attempt to promote.

“Jail culture, drug culture and gun culture is not fly,” he said. “There is nothing fucking fly about jail.” Chuck feels these three aspects are not representative of black culture because black people have no control over them. Black people do not run the jails or the gun business. They don’t make or bring drugs into America and are simply “participants at the lowest level.”

Chuck feels that in order for blacks to truly realize their culture, they must gain control over it. To gain control of it, they must educate themselves. And education can be achieved through the old maxim: “Each one teach one.” Chuck said everyone who witnessed the knowledge that was dropped at Convocation Hall was responsible for spreading the message throughout the community…a nation of millions can’t be stopped.