News

Bag O’ Crime: September 13, 1995

Lake Devo blood bath

Two youths stabbed each other in a bloody scrap between Rye’s Business Building and Lake Devo last Friday night. Security received a complaint about someone getting beat up at 10 p.m. and confronted two suspects when arriving on the scene. One teen ran into a van parked inside the Victoria St. parking lot. When approached by security, the two suspects blamed each other for instigating the fight. One assailant was stabbed in the head, the other in the arm. After the ambulance arrived, neither wanted to press charges. Security said a small, keychain-style knife was used by one attacker. 

U of T melee

One Ryerson sterling silver sign was abducted and another beat up in a rash of University of Toronto students pranks of defenceless inanimate objects. Police found one sign at U of T last Friday while Rye security discovered two Toronto fiends defacing another on Gould and Church St. the next day. The signs are recovering. 

Au natur-hell

A new school year brings new optimism and, in Ryerson’s case, a wave of new flashers on campus. Rye security received the first flasher complaint of the year last Friday. The flasher was advertising his goods on Victoria St. at 9 p.m. Security responded to the call but couldn’t find anyone. The suspect is described as male, white, decked out in typical flasher fall apparel – a long trench coat, combined nicely with casual footwear for the man on the go.

Burn baby burn…

Jorgenson Hall inmates ran for their lives when a small inferno broke out last Tuesday afternoon. A fire official said burning wooden expansion joints, being worked on by contractors were to blame. The joints separate the LRC into two buildings. The blaze caused over $500 worth of damage, and headaches for the contractor, who claimed there was no fire. RyeSAC president Paul Cheevvers was the first to spot trouble. Stampeding over Ryerson Nursery school kiddies, Cheevers was the first one out of the building. 

–Compiled by Xavine Bryan