All

Be the Cliff Claven of your social circle

Compiled by Rebecca Eckler

Tavern, Public house, watering hole, bar — just a place where alcoholic beverages are served for consumption on the premises. You see them everywhere and everyone has their favorites, but occasionally social interaction can run thin well before last call. For the conversationally impaired, here are some historical tidbits and about bars. 

Take notes, Brunswick House…

If you beer tastes a little more like a lake than it should (even if you didn’t order light beer), you might want to inform your barkeep that The Code of Hammurabi of ancient Babylonia (c. 1750 BC) provided that the death penalty could be imposed upon a proprietor for diluting beer.

Gold digging was harder back then

In ancient Rome, no man of any social standing could be seen in a tavern. One type of establishment did exist for the high class: It was called a lupanar, it flourished behind locked doors on the quietest of side streets and men with veiled heads entered in the dark of night to dine, drink, or gamble. So maybe all the sugar daddies are hanging out in the Kensington Market booze cans? Hmmm.

House guest troubles…

New York’s first tavern was opened in Dutch colonial days by Governor Kieft, who says he was sick and tired of entertaining strangers and travellers in his own home, so he opened a tavern to lodge and feed them.

But, didn’t Jesus drink wine at the last supper?

The next time you’re whining about the 1:00 last call in Ontario, remember that as recently as thirty years ago, in accordance with the Lord’s Day Act, it was illegal to serve alcohol on Sundays. Even after the law was changed, restrictive regulations (in place until the mid 80s) dictated that food had to be ordered with booze, and last call was at 11:00.