A two-motorcycle fire behind Lake Devo was a result of arson, a Fire Department examination has found. A Kawasaki ZX motorcycle’s gas tank exploded and ignited a Yamaha FJ 1200 parked beside it last Thursday at 4:45 p.m.
After firefighters extinguished the blaze, Metro Police reported finding a broken half of a plastic Bic lighter in the remains of the Kawasaki. They said someone likely placed a lit cigarette on top of the lighter, near the fuel line. When the cigarette burned down, it melted the lighter, causing the explosion in MacGyver-esque timing.
No injuries were reported but damage is estimated at $16,000.