All Editorial Letter to the editor

The Registrar responds

Regarding the September 13 letter from Jarrod Hoogendam (Registration nightmare screws student’s semester): the information Mr. Hoogendam provides is somewhat selective and fails to provide a complete picture of the service he has received from Ryerson staff. 

“Four…why not six:” As part of the grade report package mailed at the end of the Winter 1995 semester, returning students were asked to review and confirm their course selections for fall 1995. Any omissions in the material not corrected by the student at that time resulted in similar omissions from their fall 1995 timetable.

Staff also attempted to guide Mr. Hoogendam through the telephone registration system in three separate phone calls, and provided him with a ten-minute, in-person training session during the busiest week of the semester.

The School of Business Management confirms that, since the beginning of September, there has been space in at least one of the two courses Mr. Hoogendam appears to want and at times during the day which do not conflict with his other courses. 

No one at Ryerson will dispute the fact that resources are tighter than ever before. Students across Ontario are experiencing challenges similar to that of Mr. Hoogendam. Ryerson staff and faculty are making every effort to respond to the needs of Ryerson students. We welcome honest and informed feedback on how we can perform better. It is disappointing when staff make honest efforts to help only to see headlines such as “Registration nightmare screws student’s semester.” 

Obviously there are challenges ahead for all of us in the Ontario university sector. The only way we can maximize benefits for the Ryerson community is to work together, respecting that all concerned are doing their best for the common good. Recriminations such as Mr. Hoogendam’s (particularly in the light of the efforts made to assist him) do little to foster the mutual cooperation we require. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of Ryerson students are prepared to meet us halfway.

Keith C. Alnwick

Registrar