All Arts & Culture Entertainment

Wham, bam, thank you Slam

Comedy Slam ‘95 way better than that film fest thingamajig

By Leatrice Spevack

Back in 1991, Toronto’s comedy festival was no laughing matter—for some. Amidst a brouhaha over the struggle for creative control, the sponsor, Molson Breweries, and the festival’s artistic director and CEO of Yuk-Yuk’s, Mark Breslin, parted ways. That was the year Labatt climbed on board with their beer bucks and The People’s Comedy Festival was born. The competition was ferocious as both the original Molson comedy event and new Labatt People’s festival vied for the public’s attention and pocketbooks. Molson grabbed many of the big names while The People’s purposefully highlighted the abundance of homegrown comics by employing theme shows, street performances, and an assortment of wacky events like a surreal mini-putt golf course at City Hall. But what really emerged from the imbroglio was a renewal of Molson sponsorship, not just to the festival and Canadian artists, but to all of Toronto’s diverse denizens. Hence, the festival’s current permutation as The Comedy Slam. Past years have seen hospital, mission and seniors’ residence performances. In contrast to Montreal’s Just For Laughs industry schmooze-fest, the People’s Comedy Festival/Molson Canadian Comedy Slam ‘95 continues its focus on the community. This year the Slam is embracing the popular “Comfort and Joy” comedy benefit series, whose profits will be donated to Teresa House, a charity which lends support to families with AIDS. Check out fellow Ryerson (journalism) student Lincoln Trudeau who is on the bill Thursday night at the 360 on Queen St. W. Insomniacs are offered the opportunity of by-passing the Home Shopping Network to partake of some annual Midnight Madness. Be warned — these shows (Friday and Saturday at the Rivoli) are touted as giving new meaning to “pushing the envelope.” The faint of heart are well-advised to remain at home watching Friends. You can arrive at 9 p.m., midnight, or in between adn stay through until the wee hours — at eight bucks, a true bargoon for the insomnolent. And insider information reveals the rumour of some very special appearances. If you’re an angry woman, and what woman isn’t, don’t miss the Women in Comedy Show at Yuk-Yuk’s Superclub (Friday and Saturday) starring Margaret Smith, winner of the Best Female Comic at the U.S. Comedy Awards. Sharing the bill is must-see New Yorker Claudia Sherman. Always attired in wedding regalia, Sherman goes into the crowd to personally abuse the men in the audience. Leave your boyfriends at home. On the other hand, one of the few disappointments of a stellar line-up that includes Bobcat Goldthwait (Saturday at the Danforth Music Hall) is the cancellation of Kenny Robinson and the Nubian Disciples of Pryor Comedy All Stars starring Dick Gregory, who due to “a conflict in schedule,” was unable to appear. But you can, and should, catch the Nubians (minus Gregory) who appear at Yuk-Yuk’s Sunday, October 15, and on the last Sunday of most months. 

By far the best deal going is Sunday’s Big Party at the Big Bop ($15 advance, $18 at the door). You’ll have access to the two mainstages, a pool room (where you can buy drinks for the comedy celebs) and a space devoted to weird and obscure video shorts. Acts include Emo Philips, Las Vegas’ Bud E. Love (whose claim to fame includes discovering Elvis, Sinatra and nearly everyone else), Tonight Show veteran Al Lubel, Timmin’s native, and recent winner of Vail, Colorado’s “Comedy Invitational” tournament, Derek Edwards, and Canada’s answer to Letterman — only better — Mike Bullard (you read it here), and too many more to mention. Mark Breslin expects the Big Party to become “the centre piece of the festival for years to come,” a uniquely interactive experience where you are no longer just a “passive consumer.” A night in which you become a player, not just a payer.