All Arts & Culture Entertainment

Eye discs: October 11, 1995

Ask For It

Hold

Caroline/Virgin

Rating: two eyes

The album cover says it all. An obscure picture of two hands with the fists clenched. The wrists reveal two scars going up and down the arm, the amateur’s way of trying suicide. Give me a break. Is anyone else really fucking tired of hearing about Courtney Love; her personal tragedies and her screwed up life. Do they really need to exploit it any further?

The sad thing is the self-indulgent album cover was designed by Love herself. It’s really too bad Love ever met Cobain because if she hadn’t we might appreciate Hole for what they are: a fabulous band. This is an album which gives fans an opportunity to hear Hole before the media frenzy, when they were just a struggling band with big ideas. The six tracks were recorded between ‘91 and ‘92, both live and during sessions with John Peel. It is interesting to hear how songs like “Doll Parts” and “Violet” have evolved since then. Also included are four songs not included on the Live Through This album.

None of the tracks are really strong. Rather, this album gives the true fan a glimpse of Hole in their early years. But if you’re tired of all the propaganda and hype surrounding this band you won’t be missing much if you leave it at HMV.

– Mike Coleman

Oxygen

Varga 

BMG

Rating: four eyes

It takes a breath of fresh Oxygen from Varga to remind us of the cruel realities of the world we live in. This album comes only a few months after their debut Prototype. And just as well as its predecessor, Oxygen demonstrates true devotion to hard core, punk and hip-hop. 

Marking their successful return with songs like “Needlestack” and “Red Ribbons,” the Hamilton-based band tries to touch up on the most intense and devastating societal issues. 

The majority of the songs contain powerful themes of frustration, isolation and cruelty. “Red Ribbons” specifically shows our world as plagued by evil and ugliness, while “Healer,” deals with substance abuse. 

Oxygen is a continuation of Jim Morrison’s thought that it’s just a matter of time “before this whole shit-house goes up in flames.”

– Joanna Szewczyk

Tails

Lisa Loeb

BMI

Rating: one eye

Will you like this debut album by Lisa Loeb? If you can listen to her hit song “Stay” 400 times and not want to do some serious damage to your body, then you probably will. However, I found I wanted to use a sharp object on myself after listening to Tails. Each song is the same as “Stay,” except one.

“Taffy,” which is the only track where she discovers electric guitars, is also the only musically redeeming song on the album. But, it loses out on the lyrics, which are the same throughout the disc: topics ranging from friends, relationships, blah, blah, blah.

If you can listen to the same song over and over, you’ll probably tolerate this album. Me? No way.

– Jason Small

Gilt

Machines of Loving Grace 

Attic

Rating: four eyes

The latest offering from the Machines of Loving Grace is so heavy it feels like a brick hitting you right in the head. With bleeding ears, I enjoyed this loud, heavy album. What makes this disc enjoyable are the crunchy guitars, funky bass, a singer with the voice of Satan and the catchy, yet still-rip-your-eyeballs-out riffs. Gilt is just plain, heavy-duty fun.

But while it is fun, it’s not outstanding. Most of the songs are good, but only one song, “Casual Users,” grabs your head and rams it into the wall. It stands out with its kicking riffs and more intelligible, not to mention intelligent, lyrics.

While Gilt isn’t an outstanding, innovative disc, it is nonetheless a fun, loud and heavy romp.

– Jason Small

EYEOPENER CD RATINGS
This week: good beer
Five eyes = Upper Canada
Four eyes = Sleeman’s Ale
Three eyes = Molson Export
Two eyes = Labatt’s Blue
One eye = Any American Beer
Blast from the Past

In the continuing effort to fill space, The Eyeopener brings you Blast From The Past, a retrospective look at some reviews of days gone by. This week, an examination by Jamie Morrison of Motorhead’s groundbreaking 1981 release…

Ace of Spades

“…Motorhead is the first to embrace the ‘Fuck art, let’s dance” philosophy and dive headfirst over the edge of good taste and common decency into the abyss of indulgence and utter, mind-numbing excess…”

“It’s not art and it doesn’t make any pretensions to be art. For those of you whose lease is running out, and who want to throw one last real thunderfuck of a bash, this is definitely the album to have…”