Ombudsman to sprout at Ryerson?

New post would give students someone to bitch to

By Natalie James

What the hell is an ombudsperson and why will it cost students almost $100,000 to get one?

According to Frank Cappadocia, RyeSAC’s executive assistant, an ombudsperson would impartially “examine student complaints and try to bring about a resolution.” The ombudsperson would also consult with students who want to know their rights.

The referendum will ask students to support an annual $50 fee to help fund many financially strapped student services. Six dollars of that money will go to establishing an ombudsperson position including their salary, an office clerk and cash to operate the office. 

“Any large institution needs someone to watch the system,” says Diana McLarenn, executive director of the Continuing Education Students Association of Ryerson, that co-signed the proposal with RyeSAC last year.

Students with inquiries can file complaints or go to RyeSAC, says Cappadocia. But he doesn’t have time to deal with the 300 students who came to his office last year seeking assistance. Ryerson needs a separate office to deal with the volume.

He also believes that because RyeSAC is a student based organization, it is not seen as impartial in the eyes of professors.

However, despite a strong campaign by some administrators in support of the news office, most students are not sold on the idea. They’re concerned an ombudsperson may not fulfil its high expectations.

“It could speed up the process, but it may also be bad because (the complaint) will have to go through more people,” says Ahmed Rahman, a first-year Electrical Engineering student.

Cappadocia compares the ombudsperson with an insurance policy and hopes that it will gain acceptance as a place where students can seek help.

“Some people believe in it, some don’t,” he says. “You only worry about it when something goes wrong.”

If the referendum passes, the ombudsperson’s office will open next year.