News

Long hours for VPs?

By Shane Dingman

Campaigning for the RyeSAC executive has started, but it remains to be seen whether the candidates understand what will be expected of them once they take office.

Incoming VPs are told on their nomination form they will be expected to work for 20 hours a week, even though they may have to work more.

What they aren’t told is the terms of their employment is not in their hands or those of the elective body, but under the control of RyeSAC’s Board of Directors.

With a two-thirds majority the Board can decide not to employ a VP, leaving them with the official status of an elected volunteer. The Board can also vote to five people massive pay increases or decreases.

While in office, VP administration and presidential candidate Angelo DeLuca, and VP education Kelli Campbell logged 32-hour work weeks and received a 22 per cent pay raise.

This is an exception to the current 20-hour work week policy, though DeLuca said he could work 50 hours and he wouldn’t expect to be paid for it. “The student expectation is that you will do whatever needs to be done,” said DeLuca.

Michael Wiltshire, a fourth-year business student, spends 20 hours of his week working as VP finance at RyeSAC. He agrees $7,000 spent on DeLuca and Campbell was well deserved and a manageable expense. “We have increased revenues this year and with Oakham House coming online, this won’t sink us,” said Wiltshire.

Raises for the VPs of administration and education would leave VP finance as the lowest paid RyeSAC executive. “It’s not that I don’t want a raise,” said Wiltshire. “Our degrees are paramount, that’s why we are in school. I have to make a decision about time, commitment and my schooling.”