Back to their old ways

By James Mirtle

How quickly the Rams forget their winning ways.

A week after their impressive 5-3 victory over the Royal Military College Paladins (2-15-0-1), the Ryerson men’s hockey team (2-15-0-0) lost two important games on the road, including an 8-0 pounding in a rematch with RMC.

The Rams scored two goals early in the first period Friday night against Queen’s University (6-10-0-0), but surrendered three unanswered goals in the second period and never recovered. Queen’s went on to win 5-3.

Ryerson got goals from veterans Greg McMillan and Matt Robinson, as well as rookie Chris Sutton with his first of the year.

“We got off to a great start going up 2-0,” said Rams’ head coach Ed Kirsten.

“It was a pretty even game with Queen’s getting the bounces.”

Saturday’s game against RMC was a must win for the Paladins, and it got ugly early for Ryerson. The Rams took 62 minutes in penalties in the game and had four power play and two short-handed goals scored against them.

“We were outworked by a desperate team (against RMC),” said Kirsten.

“They came at us hard and scored on their chances. (It was) a case of nothing going right for us –a very frustrating loss.”

The Rams’ two losses combined with RMC’s two victories (the Paladins defeated U of T on Sunday) put Ryerson on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

The two teams face each other again in the final game of the season on Feb 22 at RMC. The Rams’ next game is at home versus the U of T Varsity Blues on Jan. 29.