RYERSON ATHLETES GET DOLLED UP FOR AWARDS

By Christine Eagleson

Ryerson athletes from every sport got a change to hang up their cleats and skates at last Wednesday’s Interuniversity Sports Awards.

Aleksandar (Sasha) Simic hosted the event, and even presented a few of his own awards such as “slickest coach award” — which went to rowing coach Dominic Kahn.

Speeches given throughout the night carried the general theme of “Do your best, but work harder and win.”

Simic poked some fun at the men’s basketball team’s less than perfect season, but encouraged everyone to look towards next year.

Ashley Keohan took home the female award for greatest contribution to athletics, among many other honours. The two sport star tearfully dedicated the award to her inspiration, her late mother.

The male winner of the award was Vladimir Matevski of the basketball team who, just as Keohan did, took home the letter award and the MVP award for the basketball team.

The evening’s highlight came when one of the members of the swim team made his way to the front of the room and stripped down to his Speedo chanting the team’s cheer: “Go in hard! Come out wet!”

Despite a few worried looks from head of interuniversity sports Terry Haggerty, who had kept his eye on Simic all night, everyone had a laugh.

Major awards were also given out to male and female rookies of the year, as well as athletes of the year.

Figure skater Lauren Gosnell and Greg Marszalek of men’s volleyball, were named rookies of the year. while volleyball players Ryan Vandenburg and Anjela Wilson took home the prestigious athlete of the year awards.

Other awards given during the night included MVP for each team as well as letter awards for points accumulated in athletic activities.