All Frosh

Welcome to the jungle

Jacqueline Nunes 
Arts & Entertainment Reporter

Living in residence at Ryerson is, to say the least, a big step from living with mom and dad while enjoying free food and hot water.

Still, residence has its advantages: You’ll never again find yourself in a place where you can step outside your door and always find someone to talk to. Close proximity to classes and downtown Toronto is a bonus!

Here are some tips on how to survive first year from a seasoned pro who’s entering her fourth year in a Ryerson residence:

1. Buy a roll of loonies ($1 Canadian coins) at the bank for the laundry machines. (You’ll thank me when you find yourself out of clean underwear late on a Sunday night)

2. Buy calling cards to phone family and friends long distance. Way cheaper than using Ryerson’s (awful) long-distance plan.

3. Bring an extra lamp–res rooms are pretty dark and insufficient light makes studying harder (and napping easier).

4. A trick for evenings out: put your residence keychain (with ID) in your mailbox and take your smaller mailbox key with you, so that you don’t have to carry the keychain out.

5. Security will escort you on campus through the Walk ‘n Watch program. Call 5040. (Even your guests can use Walk ‘n Watch to get safely to the subway station.)

6. Floor lounges are a great place to hang out. Keep them clean–they get smelly, fast.

7. Getting distracted from studying? The Ryerson Library is quiet, well-lit and usually open untill 11 p.m.

8. Check out Oakham Cafe (open until 10 p.m.) when you miss dinner at the residence cafeterias, which close at 7 p.m. Also stock your room with healthy non-perishables, like crackers, peanut butter, cereal and vegetables for late-night snacks.

9. Never wear pyjamas to class. Though it is tempting, they just look ridiculous.