BASEMENT BARGAINS LANDING IN SCC

By Ciara Byrne

The Travel CUTS location at Church and Gerrard streets is packing up, shipping out, and moving just around the corner to the Student Campus Centre.

It will find a cozy new home in the basement of the SCC next to the Used Book Room and CopyRite.

“I think moving on campus will have more of a student vibe,” said Sally Coles, Travel CUTS outgoing manager. Travel CUTS is an agency that offers student discounts on travel. It is owned and operated by the Canadian Federation of Students, of which the Ryerson Students’ Union is a member.

Rob Emerson, general manager of the Student Campus Centre, said the deal came about in August when proposals were sent in by parties interested in renting retail space at the SCC. A committee made up of members from the RSU and the Continuing Education Students’ Association of Ryerson formed to go over the applications. After examining the proposals, Emerson said the group selected a retailer that would serve the best interests of students.

RSU President Rebecca Rose said she is pleased the student-friendly retailer is moving in. “What could be more perfect for a building that is supposed to be run by students and for students?” Expectations are high: both the RSU and Travel CUTS said the move will benefit students. Profit expectations for Travel CUTS are also high. “Being on campus definitely has its advantages,” said Anita Emelio, Eastern Canada Sales Director for Travel CUTS, who has been involved in negotiations for the lease agreement. Emelio said having Travel CUTS on campus means they can better address students’ travel needs.

“Ryerson has a huge student population and many have to travel back home to see parents. They may not be getting the deals, because they don’t know we are here,” Emelio said. Emelio also said that job opportunities may be available for those wanting to hand out flyers around campus. For now, details of the lease agreement are hush-hush. Emerson was reluctant to discuss the rent agreement, but said it will be made public once negotiations are complete.

Along with a new location, Travel CUTS will have a new manager. Hillary Armstrong started two weeks ago.

She said there could be a few changes once they move into the student centre. “You might see a few new specials, but we’ll decide that when we open the space and meet the neighbours.”