SELLING LAUGHS WHOLESALE

By Glynnis Mapp

Sell, sell, sell. That’s the motto when trying to raise money, either by setting up a lemonade stand or rolling up your sleeves to make cupcakes.

But baked goods and lemonade just wouldn’t cut it for one group of Ryerson business management students. Instead, they’re creating an event all on their own — Apprentice style. “We want to do something more than just put on a bake sale, so we came up with the Ram Comedy & Jam,” third-year business management student Jillian McKinley says.

“Our goal is to raise more money than anyone ever has. We’re aiming for about $1,500.”

The Ram Comedy & Jam, a fundraiser for the Children’s Wish Foundation, is the brainchild of the five-person group of business management students who plan to earn both brownie points and a good grade for their Managing Interpersonal Dynamics class. The class requires them to build on team work, networking, and event planning.

“It takes time management, problem solving and lots of team work. You really learn a lot about yourself and other people organizing an event like this,” McKinley says. “Comedy brings people together; it doesn’t really matter what you’re interested in.”

Headlining the event will be Canadian comedians Quinn Martin and John Avery of the Toronto Argos. They have both been on Much Music’s Video On Trial and toured with Yuk Yuk’s Comedy nightclub. The two jumped at the chance to help out. “It’s a good cause and I’ve received a lot of support from college and university students when I first started out,” Martin says. “It feels great to give back to the students.”

The group even managed to snag some big-name advertisers, including Molson, Canadian Tire, the Shopping Channel and WalMart. Ashley Scott, a radio and television arts student, is hoping the event will be a change of pace from Ryerson’s other laugh-less events. “Ryerson events are sometimes a bit boring,” she says. “It’s good to see students taking initiative and making school projects fun.” Martin is aware of this and wants to connect to the students who may attend the Ram Comedy & Jam.

“I do comedy that makes people laugh about things that they grew up with; I’m an ’80s kid,” Martin says. “We plan to give the students and people who come out a really good time.” The evening will also host local rock band Replica, who will bring its brand of hard-edged pop-rock to balance the evening out.

The Ram Comedy & Jam takes place at the Ram in the Rye on March 20 at 8 p.m.

Tickets are $5 and available in the Business Building and the SCC. All proceeds go to charity.