Rams tie last season’s win total

By Fareen Qureishi

Last year they won only a single game. Now with an early win under their belt, things can only look up for the women’s soccer team.

After a tough 2-0 loss to the University of Toronto a week earlier, the Rams came roaring back last Saturday beating the Nipissing Lakers 3-2. The game allowed the Rams to reach last season’s win total only two games into the season.

“They’re young but they’ve done great,” said head coach Peyvand Mossavat. “This win was long overdue.”

Despite a slow start, the game wasn’t kept scoreless for long. Nineteen minutes into the first half Ryerson saw its first goal of the season scored by rookie forward Tessa Dmitrakopoulos. After a scramble off the corner, Dmitrakopoulos crashed the net and tapped the ball in, setting an early pace for the rest of the game.

Coming out of a 1-1 tie at the half, the Rams pressured the Lakers’ defence creating several scoring chances. After just 13 minutes into the second half, Ryerson forward Meagan Blodgett beat the Nipissing goalie making the score 2-1.

With 12 minutes left in the game, Dmitrakopoulos scored her second goal on a breakaway, putting the game to bed. The goal stood as the game winner as Nipissing came back with a late goal in the final minutes of play. “I’m feeling good,” said Dmitrakopoulos. “At the end I thought we were going to lose it, but we did good.”

The women’s win was even more impressive considering Shannon Ferreira, last season’s star player, was missing due to injury. Ferreira tore her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) during the off season and will be out for the rest of the year.

However, the team has proved that missing Ferreira will not affect their ability to play, and to win.

“We miss her, and we wish she was here, but we brought in more players. The girls that have come in play at the highest level and they are doing well,” said Mossavat.

While Mossavat admitted that most of the mistakes made during the game were rookie mistakes, he believes the team can go far into the season.

“I think that with the team we have it’s realistic (to make the playoffs),” said Mossavat, whose team has never made it to the post-season.

“We’re going to make history this year.”

On the men’s side, after countless scoring chances and numerous shots on goal, the Ryerson Rams were left frustrated, disappointed and goalless. The Rams ended their Saturday afternoon game with a 0-0 tie against the Nipissing Lakers.

“We should have won,” said third year forward Radu Melnic. ”We should have scored three, four goals.”

Melnic was one of many players whose shots chipped just past the goal, and whose assists were helpful, but yielded no results.

“I’m proud of all the guys,” said Melnic. “Everybody played well. I’m just disappointed with the result.”

Head Coach Tony LaFerrara had an optimistic attitude about the day’s game.

“Sooner or later we’re going to win,” LaFerrara said. “These guys love wearing the blue and gold.”

Unfortunately, while the attempts were there, the results were not.

“It’s like getting all dressed up to go the party and nobody wants to dance with you.”

The team’s next home game is on September 20 when they take on Trent University at Esther Shiner Stadium.