$95,000-A-YEAR JOB STILL VACANT

By Alex Nassiri

A $95,000-a-year internal position at Ryerson has remained unfilled for more than four months. Why? According to the interim manager, it’s because they need to be extremely “fussy” about who they choose.

Ryerson’s Digital Media Productions Office (DMPO) lost their manager to the University of Toronto in November 2006. The department immediately began to search for a replacement. In spite of a salary offer of between $63,585 and $95,378, and the opportunity to work in a “unique” position at the university, the opening has yet to be filled.

Since December 2006, the interim manager has been Brian Lesser, assistant director of application development and integration. He is also in charge of interviewing potential applicants and choosing a replacement.

Though the team has been without a manager for several months now, according to Lesser their productivity has not suffered. “It’s not as if they need me to tell them what to do; they have quite a bit of experience.”

According to Lesser though there have been quite a few applicants, most come from a corporate background, which may not prepare them for the position. “The manager of this group needs to be someone who understands teaching at a higher education level, and working with professors.”

The former manager Laurie Harrison was asked to comment on her experience at the school and the position, she curtly stated she would rather make no comment.