Soccer squads out of playoffs

By Samantha Martin

The Ryerson Rams women’s soccer team did everything they could to get past the first round of the playoffs – both on and off the field.

After being eliminated by the Carleton Ravens in a 2-0 loss, the Rams appealed the decision. The Ryerson side claimed Carleton coach Andy Nera coached the game after receiving a red card the previous match.

“It’s unfortunate that they have to resort to such tactics and believe that we would break the rules,” said Nera, who didn’t know Ryerson filed an appeal. “That’s their prerogative I guess.”

But, the Rams lost the appeal.

Ward Dilse, executive director of Ontario University Athletics (OUA), said the complaint came from a newspaper report and not from actual gamesheets.

“There’s no usual procedure for something such as that,” Dilse said. He added that he usually deals with one or two appeals a year.

“I completely understand why they came forward,” he said.

Carleton scored the first goal of the game in the 12th minute, but the Rams controlled the play well for the rest of the first half. Ryerson kept up the fight into the second half but were unable to score the equalizer. In the 78th minute, the Ravens scored again, stretching their lead 2-0.

“We played our hearts out. We put everything on the line. They got a few lucky breaks and we just couldn’t put it in the back of the net,” said Rams goalkeeper Michelle Smiciklas.

Ryerson head coach Peyvand Mossavat was disappointed his team’s season ended in the first round. Last year the Rams also bowed out after dropping a game in the first round.

“I think we dominated the game right from the beginning, but we knew they were going to come out strong,” he said.

The loss capped off the team’s best season in the program’s 21-year history. The squad set a record for points in a season with 20, and tied their mark for wins with five, which was set last year.

On the other end, the men’s team played a tough game against third-ranked Queen’s Golden Gaels. It was their first playoff game since 2003.

The Gaels got out to an early lead when they scored in the third minute. The score stayed 1-0 until the Gaels put one past Rams goalkeeper Robert Paolozzi with 10 minutes remaining.

Down 2-0 late in the game, the Rams were rewarded in the 84th minute when team captain Frank Morelli cut the lead in half. The Rams put on the pressure in the final six minutes but were unable to hit the back of the net.

“I don’t feel very good about it. We gave up a very unusual goal. It was a gift to them,” said coach Tony La Ferrara.

La Ferrara plans on keeping the squad together and maintaining team chemistry during the winter by joining a league.

“I want to enter the team into a winter league, but we need money and commitment from the boys,” he said.

La Ferrara is pleased with the overall season and is thankful to the players. “I’m grateful to the boys for their effort and the season that we had. It was great. It was fun and challenging to work with them.”